What is it?
Digital Literacy refers to digital and information literacy, and encompasses a range of capabilities including:
– ICT proficiency
– digital learning and creation
– digital collaboration
– media and data literacy, and
– digital identity
Building digital capacity amongst the library workforce is an important priority.
CAUL has developed a Digital Dexterity Framework setting out the capabilities which make up digital dexterity. This framework for universities is to help underpin the development of digital dexterity skills in their staff and students of Libraries.
CAUL is the Council of Australian University Librarians is the peak leadership organisation for university libraries in Australia. CAUL members are the University Librarians or equivalent of the 39 institutions that have representation on Universities Australia and the 8 members of the Council of New Zealand University Librarians (CONZUL).
The areas of Digital Literacy the Library is concentrating on as a base for all staff:
Communication & Collaboration
Is able to: –
– communicate effectively in digital media and spaces, eg Zoom
– participate in digital teams and working groups
– use shared productivity tools to collaborate effectively, produce shared materials
and work effectively across cultural, social and linguistic boundaries
– participate in, facilitate and build digital networks
Digital File Management
The capacity to find, evaluate, manage, curate, organise and share digital information, including open content. Capacity to interpret information for academic and professional/vocational purposes. Ability to act within the rules of copyright and to use appropriate referencing. Ability to record and preserve information for future access and use.
Is able to:
– interpret and manage digital information
– critically evaluate information in terms of its provenance, relevance, value and credibility
– collate, manage, access and use digital data, eg., DropBox
– analyse and interpret data
– critically receive and respond to messages in a range of digital media
The capacity to develop and project a positive digital identity or identities and to manage digital reputation (personal or organisational) across a range of platforms; to build and maintain digital profiles; to develop a personal style and values for digital participation; to collate and curate personal materials across digital networks.
Is able to:
– develop and project a positive digital identity/ies and manage digital reputation
across different platforms (or at least one platform) eg. LinkedIn
– review the impact of online activity
– collate and curate personal materials across digital networks
– act safely and responsibly in digital environments
– act with concern for the human and natural environment when using digital tools
ICT Proficiency & Productivity
The capacity to have versatile computer skills, with cognitive flexibility and agility and allow you to be creative as well as a critical thinker in your application of computer skills.
The ability to understand how programs and systems operate and choose the relevant software and applications as well as know when they have become outdated/obsolescent. The ability to understand basic concepts in computing coding and information process where relevant to role and how digital technology is changing practices at work, at home and in the social and public space.
Is able to:
Use basic tools, eg. Word, calendars, social media, upload/download files
Use media and other digital communication
Use ICT-based tools to perform tasks effectively, productively and with attention to quality
Evaluate and choose devices, applications, systems and software relevant to different tasks for the best outcome.
Links and resources
23 things for digital knowledge
WELCOME TO 23 THINGS FOR DIGITAL KNOWLEDGE
THING 1: A LEARNING ATTITUDE
THING 2: GOING ONLINE
THING 3: BLOGGING
THING 4: ORGANISE YOUR WORK
THING 5: BUILDING A NETWORK
THING 6: ONLINE COLLABORATION
THING 7: WORKING IN THE CLOUD
THING 8: POWER YOUR BROWSER
THING 9: WORKING WITH AUDIO
THING 10: WORKING WITH VIDEO
THING 11: PICTURE PERFECT
THING 12: MANAGING IMAGES
THING 13: TOOLS FOR PRESENTING YOUR WORK
THING 14: SCREENCASTING AND SHARING
THING 15: DIGITAL CURATION
THING 16: MINDMAPPING
THING 17: SOCIAL MEDIA FOR RESEARCHERS
THING 18: SOCIAL MEDIA CURATION
THING 19: ALTMETRICS
THING 20: INFOGRAPHICS
THING 21: OPEN ED RESOURCES
THING 22: REFERENCE MANAGEMENT
THING 23: KEEPING UP